web counter Media Lies: The demise of Andrew Sullivan

Saturday, October 16, 2004

PLEASE NOTE: Media Lies has moved.
The new address is http://www.antimedia.us/.
Please adjust your bookmarks.

The demise of Andrew Sullivan

I used to read Andrew Sullivan every day. He was an excellent source of counterbalance and a thoughtful commentator on the national political scene. However, when Bush announced his support of a Constitutional amendment on marriage, Sullivan gradually began to go off the deep end. I haven't read Sullivan in some time now, but Tom Maquire still does. Today Maquire deconstructs Sullivan's recent "reasoning" for supporting Kerry. You can sum it up with this - "One reason to vote for Kerry this time is that, whatever his record, he will, as president, be forced by reality and by public opinion to be tough in this war."

These are the words of a man who is trying to convince himself to buy something that he's not enthusiastic about owning. That's what Sullivan has come to because he has sold out his principles for his "pet" issue. I removed Sullivan from my blogroll because I was so disappointed in his loss of focus. I hope someday to see him return to his former erudition, but I suspect he won't until after the election. Perhaps, when the passions of this election season are past, he'll return to his senses.

|