web counter Media Lies: How do Iraqis feel about the security situation?

Saturday, July 24, 2004

PLEASE NOTE: Media Lies has moved.
The new address is http://www.antimedia.us/.
Please adjust your bookmarks.

How do Iraqis feel about the security situation?

The Mesopotamian sees "a definite improvement". link He also chastises a friend who doubts him, saying he is "falling prey to the Media". That seems to be a common malady these days. Even now most of the stories out of Iraq are of bombings, kidnappings and beheadings, as if those were the only things going on. If you get your news from the major media, you are in for quite a shock when the Iraqi story "suddenly" turns positive.

A friend of mine criticized me the other day for criticizing the media "while you depend upon them for your news". What he doesn't understand is that I don't get my news from the media. I get my material from the media. I get my news from the Internet. More and more people are doing this, and the major media doesn't even realize it. A revolution is underway, and they are oblivious.

As much as possible, I use "original" sources -- the 9/11 Commission Report, for example -- and do the research myself. When I do get unusual stories secondhand, such as the Iraqi nukes story, I look for confirmation or I note that it is "reported" or "alleged". Like you, I routinely browse through blogs looking for interesting information, and of course, I use search engines extensively. (My favorite is Alta Vista, but I also use Lexis/Nexis and Google.)

Hopefully the end result is something useful.

|