web counter Media Lies: This is where I work

Monday, November 22, 2004

PLEASE NOTE: Media Lies has moved.
The new address is http://www.antimedia.us/.
Please adjust your bookmarks.

This is where I work

The Opinion Journal published High Bias today, a look at the incredibly biased world of academe. I work there. It's a fertile field for change. :-)
Robert Brandon, a Duke University philosophy professor, is one liberal who has at least made an effort to explain why conservatives are seldom seen in academia. "We try to hire the best, smartest people available. If, as John Stuart Mill said, stupid people are generally conservative, then there are lots of conservatives we will never hire. Mill's analysis may go some way towards explaining the power of the Republican Party in our society and the relative scarcity of Republicans in academia."
(Emphasis mine.)

Yes, there really are people in academe who think like that. There's also a lot of really good people who are simply confused. Having a high IQ and an esteemed education doesn't make one an expert in anything but their chosen field. Believe me, some of them can't even figure out how a mouse works. (I could tell some stories here, but I won't.) Frankly, I feel sorry for many of the really liberal profs. Their grasp on reality is tenuous at best.

They sure are fun to argue with though.

|