web counter Media Lies: Do you know me?

Sunday, November 14, 2004

PLEASE NOTE: Media Lies has moved.
The new address is http://www.antimedia.us/.
Please adjust your bookmarks.

Do you know me?

I'm an American. According to the media many in the world hate me. I'm called an "imperialist" although America has never tried to take over any other country. Even after Germany, Japan and Italy tried to conquer the world and lost to America's valiant men and their allies, it never crossed America's mind to take over the defeated countries. Instead, America gave them billions in relief to overcome the devastation of war and helped them build robust economies and democratic governments.

I'm called "evil" even though America, just in the past three years has freed 50 million people from tyranny and oppression.

I'm called "arrogant" even though the Statue of Liberty still beckons "your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free", and America still welcomes immigrants more than any other nation in the world.

My ancestors emigrated to America from Europe. My fellow citizens hail from every nation in the world. We came to this country for many reasons; to escape tyranny, poverty, religious persecution, bigotry, hatred and slavery, to pursue success and to enjoy the freedom of a nation where we can speak our minds without fear.

Yesterday I went to breakfast with my wife and her friends. We do this once every month. I sat next to a woman whose mother emigrated to America from Laos. We talked about America and immigration. She confided in me that the reputation of Asians for hard work was only true of those who come to America. When she and her mother visited Laos, she was shocked that "nothing had changed" and "the people were lazy". When I asked her why she thought that was true, she said, "It's the government."

When you look at America, you see the people who have chosen to leave their native lands and come to America. They are very successful and often enjoy great prosperity in America. Why can't they enjoy that same prosperity at home? "It's the government."

In America they enjoy complete freedom to live their lives as they choose. Why can't they enjoy the same freedom at home? "It's the government."

In America they live side by side with ancient enemies without enmity or strife. Why can't they stop fighting each other in their native lands? "It's the government."

In America the government is "of the people, by the people, for the people".

If the people of the world ever figure this out, the world will change dramatically. Is it any wonder dictators in the MidEast try to hide this truth from their people?

|