web counter Media Lies: Who owes what to whom?

Thursday, January 13, 2005

PLEASE NOTE: Media Lies has moved.
The new address is http://www.antimedia.us/.
Please adjust your bookmarks.

Who owes what to whom?

Driving home from work today I listened to a talk show host ask the question, "Does the President owe the religious right?" Callers were encouraged to express their opinions, and I'm sure more than a few answered, "Yes". I have a few questions for them.

If the President owes the "religious right" for his election, then what's the payment supposed to be? If the President is expected to provide payback for your vote, then what's wrong with rich people buying politicans? Isn't it the same thing? If you expect a politician to do something for you simply because you voted for him, then why is it bad for someone to expect a politician to do something for them if they give him money?

I'll tell you what I expect for my vote. I expect the President to continue doing what he's been doing. After all, if I didn't like what he was doing and what he stood for, I wouldn't have voted for him. I expect him to respect the office and uphold its integrity. I expect him to put America first and make decisions that benefit us in the long term, even if the short term is painful. I expect him to be more concerned about his children and mine than he is about me, because the future of this country is theirs.

For way too long Americans have demanded quid pro quo for their votes. This has created an atmosphere where politicians are compelled to "bring home the bacon" in order to get re-elected. When we complain about the "pork" in the budget, we're being disingenuous. After all, we're really complaining about "other people's" pork, not ours.

It's time for Americans to be willing to sacrifice for the good of all. It's time to tell our leaders that we no longer want their pork — we want them to lead America, show sound fiscal restraint and vote for what's good for America, not what's good for only their constituents. It's time to reach for even more greatness — to lead the world into a new era, where the rights of men and the freedom of all is more important than our personal aggrandisement.

It's time for America to shine again.

UPDATE: Changed the title of the post. I should have recalled John Kennedy's words, "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." We need Kennedy's spirit to rise again in this country. It died with him. It needs to live again. Kennedy would want it that way.

|